Senior Manager, Privacy and Data Ethics
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company's five core values. That's because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
At Gilead, we're creating a healthier world for all people. For more than 35 years, we've tackled diseases such as HIV, viral hepatitis, COVID-19 and cancer - working relentlessly to develop therapies that help improve lives and to ensure access to these therapies across the globe. We continue to fight against the world's biggest health challenges, and our mission requires collaboration, determination and a relentless drive to make a difference.
We empower our leaders to step up, share ideas, listen, learn, and lead. We're welcoming bright, diverse, and imaginative minds; we're nurturing them to foster an environment of inclusion and growth where innovation is encouraged. We expect our people leaders to model that environment, and to focus on creating inclusion, developing talent, and enabling teams.
Every member of Gilead's team plays a critical role in the discovery and development of life-changing scientific innovations. Our employees are our greatest asset as we work to achieve our bold ambitions, and we're looking for the next wave of passionate and ambitious people ready to make a direct impact. Join Gilead and help create possible, together.
Job DescriptionGilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California. Senior Manager, Privacy and Data EthicsSpecific Responsibilities and SkillsThe Data Privacy Manager/Senior Manager is a key contributor to the global Privacy and Data Ethics team ("PDE team") and is responsible for managing privacy compliance across the world where Gilead does business. The PDE team is responsible for Gilead's global privacy program, including but not limited to, daily operations of the program, implementation, maintenance of policies and procedures, monitoring program compliance, and training. The PDE team is a global function and provides matrixed support to corporate business lines as well as country counsel within Gilead's affiliates.Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:Privacy Function
Policies and Training
- Assist with managing the Company's privacy program to ensure compliance with data protection and privacy laws and regulations in force in the markets in which Gilead operates.
- Develop and maintain reports in the privacy management system and manage data mapping activities and processes.
- Develop and maintain the privacy training program by working internal stakeholders and lead privacy training for all functions, as requested.
- Managing the network of internal privacy specialists as well as coordinating and leading privacy programs
- Manage engagements with external website developers and assist with the implementation of cookie banners and maintenance of related material.
- Support privacy and compliance initiatives as requested.
- Assist with the management of appropriate privacy notices, consents and other authorization forms and materials.
- Serve as a resource to Gilead's contracts group by negotiating data privacy related contract terms, across a wide spectrum of vendors.
- Work with IT Security to manage procedures for vetting and auditing vendors for compliance with the privacy and data security policies and legal requirements.
- Assist with managing the process for addressing complaints and requests from data subjects with respect to the enforcement of their rights under applicable laws.
- Assist with the completion of data protection impact assessment for high-risk processing activities and other privacy assessments, including transfer impact assessment on cross - border data transfers.
- Maintain and improve corporate privacy policies, procedures, and infrastructure.
- Assist in the development and delivery of privacy training and awareness materials and other communications to increase employee understanding of company privacy policies, data handling practices and procedures and legal obligations.
- Work with business teams to increase awareness of "best practices" on privacy and data security issues.
- Serve as information privacy resource to the organization regarding release of information and to all departments for all privacy related issues.
- B.A. or B.S. degree in technology or legal related field with 8 years of relevant experience or 6 years of relevant experience with a master's degree.
- Proven track record of project and process development, implementation, and project management.
- Knowledge of or strong interest in legal privacy principles and information security frameworks
- 6 + years privacy (compliance) operations experience.
- OneTrust, BigID, and other privacy and GRC software experience preferred.
- Privacy or Security certification (e.g., CIPP, CIPM, CIPT, or CISSP) a plus.
- Project Management Certification (e.g., PMI), a plus.
- IT Management or Systems experience a plus.
- Excellent analytical, as well as verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in complex organizational context, often without formal authority in a highly matrixed environment.
- Ability to work independently and know when to seek guidance or elevate.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the desire to take ownership of issues and follow through until resolution.
- Ability to understand and adapt to emerging technologies and complex processes.
- Complete tasks with accuracy and meet deadlines and objectives.
- Eagerness and ability to dive into technical details to understand privacy implications and requirements.
- Experience prioritizing and managing multiple projects with varying deadlines.
- Must be able to work in a team environment and support a global program across multiple time zones.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Self-starter with a high level of initiative and strong work ethic.
- Some travel may be required.
The salary range for this position is: $143,225.00 - $185,350.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans .
For additional benefits information, visit:
Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974 . click apply for full job details