JLens Director of ESG Research
POSITION TITLE: JLens Director of ESG Research
REPORTS TO: JLens Managing Director
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
LOCATION: New York, NY (CSC) or DC preferred or Anywhere ADL has an office
Grade/Class: Grade G, Exempt, Non-Union
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
ADL is the leading anti-hate organization in the world. Founded in 1913, its timeless mission is "to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment to all." Today, ADL continues to fight all forms of antisemitism and bias, using innovation and partnerships to drive impact. A global leader in combating antisemitism, countering extremism and battling bigotry wherever and whenever it happens, ADL works to protect democracy and ensure a just and inclusive society for all.
JLens, a subsidiary of ADL, explores a Jewish lens on investing, and serves as the bridge between the Jewish community and the $50 trillion values-based impact investing movement. JLens was established in 2012, and launched its Jewish Advocacy Strategy in 2015 with over $200 million invested to date from Jewish institutions. The Jewish values-based strategy invests in and conducts advocacy with approximately 300 US public companies, and in the Environment, Social Governance (ESG) Investing and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) movements - two influential arenas previously void of Jewish leadership. JLens recently launched the Jewish Values Global Index, allowing JLens to expand its advocacy globally. Within the ESG and CSR fields, JLens is the leading voice combatting antisemitism and the anti-Israel BDS campaign.
The Director of ESG Research is an integral member of the JLens team responsible for overseeing JLens research initiatives to ensure research priorities are aligned with advocacy, communication, and fundraising goals. The Director of ESG Research will develop, manage and oversee research management processes and systems, join corporate engagement, campaigns and initiatives to ensure success, and monitor and quantify impact achieved for reporting and communications purposes to JLens stakeholders.Responsibilities
- Oversees research on the approximately 430 companies in the Jewish Advocacy Strategy and Jewish Values Global Index as relevant for scoring and corporate engagement in JLens' Jewish values focus areas: Obligation to Coexistence, Society, Workers, the Environment, Ethical Business, and Support for Israel.
- Conduct research that supports advocacy on JLens values areas with particular focus on combatting antisemitism and the anti-Israel Boycott Divestment Sanction movement in the ESG field
- Manage scoring processes, research management, and company scoring based on JLens advocacy and engagements, company reports and data, reports and data by third party organization, news and current events
- Lead ESG issue area research, participate in webinars, coalition calls, conferences and more to develop JLens' understanding of various social and environmental issues and recommend areas for participations and/or leadership.
- Oversee research database, materials, and all other information and data that is required for JLens to operate efficiently and successfully
- Incorporate Jewish wisdom, text and content into JLens research processes
- Collaborate closely with both the JLens team and the ADL team on other research projects as needed
- Strong research (both quantitative and qualitative) and analytical skills, attention to detail.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, demonstrated ability to balance and prioritize projects to meet deadlines
- Ability to work on projects independently and in coordination with a team
- Ability to analyze data from multiple sources, identify key information, and communicate key points in writing
- Flexibility in a fast pacedfast-paced environment
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Ability to represent the Jewish community in corporate and investment settings
- Ability to be a self-starter in a remote work environment
- Commitment to ADL and JLens' mission and values, and interest in the corporate responsibility/socially responsible investing field
- Demonstrated interest in ESG and/or knowledge and experience in any or all of JLens six areas of focus is a plus
- The ideal candidate has research experience, including work with quantitative and qualitative data and analysis.
- Project management experience ensuring research, initiatives, campaigns, and communications goals are achieved is required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent professional experience required.
- Preference for coursework including business, ESG, environmental science, social impact, Jewish studies, rabbinic studies or other relevant areas of study.
- ADL COVID-19 Protocol (updated periodically): ADL is adhering to public health guidance regarding COVID-19. ADL will require that all employees are vaccinated with exceptions for medical and religious accommodations. ADL is requiring proof of vaccination. ADL is a hybrid environment; this role may require 3 days in the office.
- This position has a salary range of $66,000 to $80,000. This salary range is reflective of a position based in (New York, NY). Please note that actual salaries are commensurate with experience and reflect the budget for a given position, and since ADL has a location-based compensation structure, there may be a different range for candidates in other locations. For an overview of our total rewards package, please visit
ADL values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of underrepresented ethnic groups, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. ADL is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment, hiring, promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in violation of any applicable Federal, state or local laws.
ADL will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation to support the interview process, please contact Talent & Knowledge at .
ADL will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other applicable State, Local, and Federal laws.
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for employment.